Read the appeal by James January-McCann on the situation for catholic parishoners in Aberystwyth: it eloquently describes the feelings of many after the closure of St. Winefride's.
The Church is an essential part of the life of the town. The Catholic parish is one of the largest in Aberystwyth, with a Mass attendance of more than three hundred every Sunday. The Church of Our Lady of the Angels and St. Winefride was built in 1874, the first Catholic church to be built in Mid Wales since the Dissolution of the Monastries. It is highly significant as a centre of Welsh Catholisism in that the Welsh translation of the order of the Mass and the first collection of Welsh Catholic hymns originate here.
The Dioscese proposes to demolish St. Winefride's and build a new church outside of town in Penparcau, two miles from the present church. The majority of parishioners, more than 260 at the time of writing, have stated their opposition to this proposal. In response to this, the SoS Save our St. Winefride's comittee was formed to further the development of the present church in Queen's Road. In our opinion it is essential to keep the presence of the Catholic Church – the Sacramental Presence – in the centre of town.